Thursday

Lessons From The Fish Tank

I noticed my fish tank pump sound like it was having issues yesterday. My fish just got more fresh water this week, so I wasn't sure what was the problem. It turns out that they needed a new filter. Since I was apparently out of back-up filters, I tried to make do with the current one for one more day. It just didn't work though. The filter was unrecoverable. This got me to thinking about my life.

Lesson #1 - Is your filter clogged?

Our perception of life colors every element of our lives, often overriding the more logical elements like solid facts. When we are using an worn out or out-of-date filter, you aren't able to perceive life for all the potential it holds. Sometimes, the filter just doesn't fit our pump (heart) anymore. As we add or remove things/feelings/thoughts in our lives, the space in our heart and our consciousness can change its shape to accomodate these changes. Holes fill up. Dead weight reveals new frontiers to explore. Long-bolted doors reveal contents waiting to explode like an overstuffed closet. Our hearts like the pump on my fish tank need the filter to be changed on a regular basis in order to function at its highest levels. If the filters are neglected, our consciousness can be altered and our environment can become unhealthy.

Lesson #2 - What kind of environment do you find yourself in?

The thing about unhealthy enviroments is they don't always kill us. My poor fish have been through many ups and downs as far as the condition of my tank is concerned. I have lost two of the group along the way, but it took a lot to take those out. I currently still have two fantailed goldfish the size of an adult fist and a sucky fish named Leo that is as long as the tank is tall. Looking at my fish, you would think they thrived despite circumstances. They have. That doesn't mean that had they consistently had a pristine environment, they would have excelled even more.

Lesson #3 - How has your environment shaped you?

My fish, as previously stated, are huge. They are about out of space to grow in my 10 gallon tank. In order to allow them the freedom to move around, I removed all of the decorations and architectural elements. I would wager that they would continue to grow if I transfered the fish to a bigger tank. We grow only as much as our environments (our minds, beliefs, hearts, souls) allow us to grow. The only people who can limit what we are capable of becoming is ourselves. Change your view of life and you change what you can accomplish.

So...what am I going to do with the lesson provided by my fish? (I guess I should start with changing the filter more often. ;P My fish might like me more).

First, I am going to get a new view on life. It is time to change my filter. As much good has come into my life, I still need to keep working on cleaning up the junk. It will take working harder, but this is not going to kill me. It will be healthy, in fact.

Next, my enviroment is going to undergo scrutiny that leads to action and solid goals (broken down into reachable steps). Focus is going to be placed on what is truly important. The way I use my resources is going to fall in line with my goals and focus.

After all of that (and maybe even some along the way), I am going to jump into bigger tanks. I am going to widen my life and my view of my world.

And throughout the whole process, my fish (hopefully) will have a much happier tank.

Happy swimming everyone! May your tank allow light into your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with all of us! We should each strive to plant seeds in the lives of others every day and provide nourishment to encourage continued growth.